Re: Validity as a technique

John M Slatin wrote:

>Bruce Bailey wrote:

>Even with the glossary, "programmatically determined" is horribly,
>horribly opaque.  Even for native English speakers.  Even for native
>English speakers who are familiar with 508 and WCAG1.
>
>The definition of "programmatically determined" most recently accepted
>by the Working Group is as follows:
><currentDefinition>
>Programmatically determined:
>Can be recognized by user agents, including assistive technologies, that
>support the technologies in the chosen baseline.
></currentDefinition>
>
>I hope this is somewhat less opaque.

Thanks, but it's not the meaning of "programmatically determined" that
sounded opaque to me.

I simply think that validity as a document property isn't necessary to
recognize the success criteria that can be programmatically determined.

I think that validation as a process is. But it can be also with an
invalid page. If the page is invalid for an unclosed br, or a border
attribute in img, then the success criteria can still be
programmatically determined.

Anyway you look at it, it's not validity our topic... it's success
criteria. Validation is a way to determine them.

Maurizio