Re: Is validity the real issue?

From: Michele Diodati <michele.diodati@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:20:54 +0100
To: Matt May <mcmay@bestkungfu.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hi Matt,

You wrote:

> 1) Parsers using this MIME type are instructed to stop processing if
> the content is not well-formed. It doesn't stop for document invalidity.

The lacking of well-formedness is a very common cause of validation
errors (for example a <p> not closed): the consequent stop in the
processing of the document would set up a direct bond between code
errors and their effect on a web page. As I said in another answer, my
proposal aimed at making the group aware of the risk inherent in
requesting code validity in a context (web pages almost universally
served as text/html) where validity may appear only a legalistic
issue, without a direct and visible effect on accessibility.

Greetings,
Michele