Techniques for GL 4.2 L1 SC6

From: Michael Cooper <michaelc@watchfire.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:50:58 -0400
To: "WAI GL \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

At the Face to Face last week we decided to go to the list about
techniques for Guideline 4.2 Level 1 Success Criterion 6 [1]: Changes to
content, structure, selection, focus, attributes, values, state, and
relationships within the content can be  programmatically determined.

What we have for techniques is the following:

* Providing an event whenever a change to structure, selection, focus,
attributes, values,
  state, or relationships occur.

  als: Is "event" a platform-independent term?

* Pointing to external documentation that explains/shows

  Redundant with using accessibility conventions? No - if use
accessibility features, get for free.
  If not, need to do the things in L1 SC6

  issues: needs cleanup, needs to include info about the DOM, not ready
for public release

  proposed: using accessibility API of a programming language that
  provides this functionality

  proposed: providing an event in a form that AT expects for the
platform
  whenever a change of structure...

Please suggest techniques or ways to resolve the issues with the
existing techniques.

Michael

[1] http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Guide_to_4.2_L1_SC_6

--- Signature ---

Michael Cooper
Accessibility Product Manager, Watchfire
1 Hines Rd Suite 200, Kanata, ON  K2K 3C7  Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 599-3888 x4019
Fax: +1 (613) 599-4661
Email: michaelc@watchfire.com
Web: http://www.watchfire.com/