RE: Definition of 'pop-up'

From: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:00:25 +0200
To: <achuter@teleservicios.es>, "'WCAG'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Alan Chuter
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 9:35 AM
To: WCAG
Subject: Re: Definition of 'pop-up'

> Roberto Scano:
> Google Define found these definition for "pop-up window":

These definitions also apply to dialog boxes. I think that popup excludes
alert or confirm dialogs. A popup is special in that it occurs when the
*content* appears in a window which is different to the one the user was
interactiing with. It displays content.

Roberto Scano:
A dialog box is different from pop-up due that:
- is OS-based and not browser-based: it use OS features that can be
programmatically determinable.
- take exclusive focus and give back focus to the parent content (btw, this
is possible also with HTML but only with JS active...)

If we want to consider also common dialog boxes, I think we go OT (these are
OS / UA issues).