Re: [techs] Table Summary Tests (111, 112, 113, 114, 203)

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:37:09 -0400
To: "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "Wendy Chisholm" <wendy@w3.org>

> I'm concerned that we have tests that map to Level 1 Success Criteria [1]
> and to an optional technique [2].
The guideline/SC/level is still open to change on all the tests. This one
looks like it will change for sure.

> add "optional" to the title of the test?

There's a section in the test document that describes the guideline/SC and
level the test maps to. If the test becomes optional, how about I'll put it
there?

> In the procedure it says, "Note: A data table is defined as (TODO: link to
> data table definition in techniques document when it's ready.)"  Didn't we
> decide that was a rat hole?

There's been a lot of discussion regarding tables so I may have missed that
resolution. Have you got a link handy?

>>Test 112 - All data table summaries contain text.
>>Test 113 - All data table summaries are greater than 10 printable
>>characters.

Yes, it looks like we need one or the other, not both.

> Couldn't you have an appropriate summary in Japanese that is less than 10
> characters?

Ooops, I've left off "English". The summary must be greater than 10
characters if the text is English. It will change for other languages.

> "Determine if the summary describes the purpose and structure of the
> table. " seems pretty objective.  Is there any other guidance we could
> give someone? If not, I'm not sure we need this test since it doesn't seem
> to clarify the technique in anyway.

"Purpose and structure of the table" is the language used in the HTML spec
(and in the techniques doc).
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#adef-summary

It would be helpful to clarify what that means but I think that should go in
the techniques.

> prereq test needs to be reworded from "Layout table must not use th
> elements." to something like, "Layout tables don't use the th element"

Yes, thanks for picking that up.

Chris