Re: [techs] Table Summary Tests (111, 112, 113, 114, 203)

From: Wendy Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:16:35 -0400
To: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>, WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

At 01:49 PM 8/12/2005, Joe Clark wrote:
>summary="" is fine if <caption> exists or an ordinary heading or body copy
>explains the table.

John suggested this, too [1]. How about: test for the existence of the
summary attribute and the caption element. As long as one of them exists
and has a value/content, the table should pass the test.

[1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2005JulSep/0389.html>

>>If you have the previous test, why do you need this one?  I don't think
>>this test will work cross-languages.  Couldn't you have an appropriate
>>summary in Japanese that is less than 10 characters?
>
>Chinese is a better example because it doesn't use kana.

Fine. There seems to be agreement that a summary (or caption) could be less
than 10 characters and be acceptable.

--w