RE: John's proposed wording for Principle 4

Hello Neil,

Neil wrote:
>Taking everything in to account, #4 could be written:
>
>4. Content is compatible with developing user agents.
>
>Using *compatible* in its computing sense meaning "able to be used together
>with, or substitution for, another piece of software or hardware".

That works.

>*developing* covers user agents that already exist in some form irrespective
>of their current state of development but does not exclude any future user
>agents as they will become applicable as soon as they exist.

Interesting, but I think used this way, isn't it an adjective and thus
mean, "1: relating to societies in which capital needed to industrialize is
in short supply [syn: underdeveloped] 2: gradually unfolding or growing
(especially as of something latent); "his developing social conscience";
"after the long winter they took joy in the developing warmth of spring" 3:
making or becoming visible through or as if through the action of a
chemical agent; "he watched as the developing photograph became clearer and
sharper"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=developing

2 is close, but seems like a bit of a stretch.

Could you explain the issue with "current and future" as in, "Content is
compatible with current and future user agents" ?
To me, "current and future" seems simpler and easier to understand.

Thanks,
--wendy