Re: CLOSED: Issue #172

Hello Wendy,

At 17:52 19/07/2005, Wendy Chisholm wrote:

>Hello Christophe,
>
>Good catch. I don't think we need to open a bug, I think this was just an
>editing error and we should have used the definition from the 9 June telecon:
>
>>However, the resolution from the 9 June telecon reads:
>>"A sequence of characters. Characters are those included in the Unicode /
>>ISO / IEC 106464 repertoire."
>>(http://www.w3.org/2005/06/09-wai-wcag-minutes.html)
>

>I'll fix the source right now.

Thanks.
Just a minor editorial comment: could you delete the spaces before and
after the slash in "ISO/IEC"? (ISO and IEC work together on UCS; the
Unicode consortium works on Unicode.)

>>In the GL 1.1 questionnaire, I also proposed a clarification:
>>"The character set of a delivery unit should be a subset of Unicode, but
>>it is not necessary to use a character set that defines the same mappings
>>between characters and codepoints as Unicode."
>>Since I missed a large part of the 9 June telecon, I don't know if this
>>was discussed.
>
>I don't think it was discussed.  I think the only people who will
>understand the clarification are people who understand "character set" and
>"codepoints"

I'm inclined to think that web developers and people who configure CMSs
should at least know what character encoding they are using. If they don't
understand "character set" and "codepoints", I doubt that they understand
UTF-8 and UTF-16, although this is rather essential when you need Unicode.
And if you don't need Unicode, you should know whether you are using (for
example) Windows codepage 1252 instead of ISO-8859-1 or EUC-JP instead of
SHIFT-JIS.

>and therefore, I'm not sure that we need it. Do you feel strongly that we
>need the clarification?

Maybe we should wait and see if there comments on the definition, before
deciding if we need a clarification.

Regards,

Christophe

--