Re: CLOSED: Issue #172

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:30:10 +0200
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hello Wendy,

At 17:52 19/07/2005, Wendy Chisholm wrote:

>Hello Christophe,
>Good catch. I don't think we need to open a bug, I think this was just an
>editing error and we should have used the definition from the 9 June telecon:
>>However, the resolution from the 9 June telecon reads:
>>"A sequence of characters. Characters are those included in the Unicode /
>>ISO / IEC 106464 repertoire."
>I'll fix the source right now.

Just a minor editorial comment: could you delete the spaces before and
after the slash in "ISO/IEC"? (ISO and IEC work together on UCS; the
Unicode consortium works on Unicode.)

>>In the GL 1.1 questionnaire, I also proposed a clarification:
>>"The character set of a delivery unit should be a subset of Unicode, but
>>it is not necessary to use a character set that defines the same mappings
>>between characters and codepoints as Unicode."
>>Since I missed a large part of the 9 June telecon, I don't know if this
>>was discussed.
>I don't think it was discussed.  I think the only people who will
>understand the clarification are people who understand "character set" and

I'm inclined to think that web developers and people who configure CMSs
should at least know what character encoding they are using. If they don't
understand "character set" and "codepoints", I doubt that they understand
UTF-8 and UTF-16, although this is rather essential when you need Unicode.
And if you don't need Unicode, you should know whether you are using (for
example) Windows codepage 1252 instead of ISO-8859-1 or EUC-JP instead of

>and therefore, I'm not sure that we need it. Do you feel strongly that we
>need the clarification?

Maybe we should wait and see if there comments on the definition, before
deciding if we need a clarification.

Christophe Strobbe
Document Architectures
tel: +32 16 32 85 51