Re: [techs] tests 50, 51, 53 and 54 - title

From: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:10:03 -0500
To: "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Hi, Chris,

For each of these tests the Guideline is listed as 3.1 - Ensure that the
meaning of content can be determined.[1]. The Success Criteria listed is:
Success Criteria: 4. Delivery units have descriptive titles [2] which is
really a level 3 success criteria for Guideline 2.4: Provide mechanisms to
help users find content, orient themselves within it, and navigate through
it. [3].  And, to top it off the HTML technique for title that is referred
to in these tests [4] is mapped to Guideline 4.1: Use technologies
according to specification. [5].

I suspect this has to do with some of the Guidelines and Success Criteria
moving around.  My proposal would be for the HTML Title technique and the
tests to refer to Guideline 2.4 Level 3 Success criteria 4. Delivery units
have descriptive titles.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#meaning
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#navigation-mechanisms-title
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#navigation-mechanisms
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#title
[5] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-WCAG20-20041119/#use-spec

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect
IBM Emerging Internet Technologies
5 Technology Park Drive
Westford, MA 01886
Voice: 978 399-6101; t/l 333-6101
Email: gibsonb@us.ibm.com

"Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Sent by: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org
02/07/2005 09:55 AM

"WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

[techs] tests 50, 51, 53 and 54 - title

We had good success of the last group of 'fasttrack' tests [1]. After
discussion on the list and at last weeks teleconference, I've asked Wendy
create a straw poll so the group may accept/reject them.

We have a publishing deadline coming up soon and I'd like to get a few
tests accepted before then. Listed below are 4 more tests that I think we
can get through this week. Please take a look and post your comments and
suggestions to the list.

50 - Document contains a TITLE element.

51 - TITLE is not empty

53 - TITLE is not placeholder text