RE: [#1311] Should we permit multiple labels for one form control?

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:34:37 -0600
To: "Lisa Seeman" <lisa@ubaccess.com>, "Michael Cooper" <michaelc@watchfire.com>, "WAI GL \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Lisa Seaman wrote:
-----Original Message-----
[JMS] <blockquote> I had said that more then one label should be allowed
per control. This is because there is often more then one piece of text
that is often associated with a form control, like, for example, a note
that seas filling in this form control is "required".

	 If users do not know what pieces of a form is required they
will waist a lot of time .

	XForms only allow one lable for a form control, but I think you
can also add help like a tool tip etc. In other words there is space for
more information about each form control.

	In HTML -until we get to XHTML 2.0- we use just label. So we may
need to reuse it for each form control to give the form controls  label,
note, help, tool tip - whatever text/content  that  the user needs
before filling in the information.

	 I would vote user agents need to read all labels per form
control

	Keep well[JMS] I'm not sure I understand why multiple label
elements would be required to meet the need Lisa describes. Notice that
a given control is required can be included within the label tag, for
example with an icon (and appropriate alt text, of course) or through
addition of the word "required."  Another option might be to use the
title attribute in addition to the label, though this is not currently
well supported (at least not by screen readers-- as far as I know, JAWS
is the only screen reader that has an option to read both label and
title when they are different, and it's not the default setting). I
certainly agree that user agents *should* support this, and it seems to
me that UAAG 1.0 requires it without specifying how it should be
implemented.

	John