From: Lisa Seeman <lisa@ubaccess.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 11:12 am
Subject: Re: Call to embrace new technologies (Was: RE: issue
with Guideline 4.2 )

> The result of the transcoding option is that people can
pioneer new
> accessibility techniques and technologies without being
stopped by
> backward compatibility and adoption issues.
>
> So asking in asking  adoption we are just asking for a
serverside
> interim solution.
>

> Keep well
> Lisa

issue with
> Guideline 4.2 )
>

>  Thanks Lisa
>

>      This is good to note.   If invokable by users - then these
> serversbecome user agents and there would be user agents
that support.

>  If invoked by web sites themselves, they become part of
what the
> websiteis serving so their effect is included in the 'delivery
unit'.

>  So these server techniques can be used two ways to solve
the
> problem.
>

>  The problem then comes down to when there are no
transcoding

----------------

gl@w3.org
>  Subject: Re: Call to embrace new technologies (Was: RE:
issue with
> Guideline 4.2 )
>

>  >   - do we really want to say that something is accessible
if it
> cannotbe
>  >used by people with disabilities -- but theoretically could
if
> someday  > someone made a tool that allowed it?
>
>  My 2 cents...
>
>  When I started using RDF  (resources description
framework)
> techniques to
> enhance accessibility we had the same problem. It was clear
that this
> technology we could do much much more for different
disability related
> scenarios that using standard HTML techniques. However, if
we
> weighted for
> user agent support it would never happen. They will only
support that
> authors are doing, and authors will only use the techniques
that
> work with
> Assistive Technologies (AT). Catch 22 as they say - the one
can not
> hapenwithout the other.
>

>  We got over the "chicken and egg" senario by adding a
serversisde
> transcoding/ middlewear service at the same time. We
chose a few
> user cases
> or "prepackaged" scenarios (general accessibility, page map
visual
> rendering/ enhanced navigation etc..) we then  applied the
RDF to make
> transcoded versions of the same content accessible and
optimized
> to the
> different scenarios or user cases -but using HTML so it
workes with
> currentAssistive Technologies.
>

>  We hope more assistive technologies will support RDF
directly.
> However, in
> the mean time, if anyone wanted to use RDF to enhance
> accessibility, they
> can use the serverside (free) service, and get it working
today.

>  The same technique can be other platforms -if they want
to they can
> provide sever side accessibility services until "AT" catches
up and
> directlysupports their accessibility features.
>

>  What does need to be tolerated is to allow different
versions,
> based on
> the same source document so long as you can easily reach
the one
> versionfrom the other.
>

>  Keep well

>  Yvette wrote:
>

>  <snip>
>  I would like to go even further and propose to delete the
entire
> success  criteria that there must be at least one  UAAG-
compliant
> user agent for
> the
>  chosen technology.
>
>  I strongly think WCAG 2 should embrace new technologies.
> Technology and
>  accessible user agents are a chicken-and-egg thing. If we
require
> to use
>  only technologies for which UAAG *-compliant user agents
exist,
> you can't
>  use a new technology that doesn't already have accessible
UA's.
> That means
>  that only people who do not care about accessibility use
that new
> technology
>  and the accessibility features are never used, to the
> manufacturers don't
>  see the need to support those features. This leaves a lot of
> people in the
>  cold.
>
>  If, on the other hand, we say you can write your content on
the
> (initially  false) assumption that there is a user agent that is
> UAAG *-compliant,
>  people will use the accessibility features of the technology
and
>  manufacturers will see the need to support the accessibility
> features.
>  We have seen with WCAG 1 and Flash what can happen if
we set a
> high bar on
>  new technologies. Some of my own clients decided not to
make
> parts of
> their
>  website accessible because they really wanted to use the
> capabilities of
>  Flash and did not have the resources to make an equivalent
> accessible  alternative as well. They didn't use the
accessibility
> features of Flash
>  because that would cost extra work and they thought that
wouldn't
> help  accessibility because they still would not conform to
the
> minimum level of
>  WCAG 1. This means that even now that Flash plug-ins
support
> accessibility  features, their Flash content is still
inaccessible.
> I really want to
> avoid
>  this situation in WCAG 2.
>
>  A simple fact of life is that organizations WILL use new
> technologies  (unless forced by legislation). Instead of
forbidding
> that, let's tell
> them
>  how to use the technologies in an accessible manner so
more