RE: CSS Techs: 5.1 Specifying the direction of text

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 22:32:19 -0000
To: "'Gez Lemon'" <gl@juicystudio.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hmm...  Chaps, a number of worries/questions sprang into my mind when I
noticed this note.  I haven't followed any WAI threads on this subject, just
noticed it now.

[1] Why is this here?  What are the WAI issues involved?

[2] The I18N group provides advice relating to use of CSS for bidi which

[2a] Do not use CSS with documents served as text/html

[2b] Use bidi specific markup to hang the CSS on, rather than something like

[2c] Only use this when the Unicode bidi algorithm is unable to do what you

[2d] &rlm; and &lrm; can sometimes be more effective than markup

Please take a look at the i18n stuff at the following locations before

In particular the article and techniques docs listed, plus the FAQ "CSS vs.
markup for bidi support".

Hope that helps,

Richard Ishida

contact info: