Re: [#1063] APPLET alt text and alternative content

From: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:27:45 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
[Roberto Scano wrote:]
What about this use of object instead embed?
http://www.robertoscano.info/works/captioning/flash/

Also I'm testing similar solutions for applet - for convert them with
object element.
[end Roberto]

Becky asks:
I can use the object tag to include  an applet in IE, Mozilla/Firefox, and
Opera.  Have you found an object tag that will work in both browsers with
Quicktime?
I can create an object tag that works in IE or works in Mozilla/Firefox
but I can't compose an object that works in both without using embed.
This solution works in IE, Mozilla/Firefox and Opera:
<object
data="http://www.student.oulu.fi/%7esairwas/object-test/video/test.mov"
type="video/quicktime" width="160" height="120"
classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" >
<param name="src"
value="http://www.student.oulu.fi/%7esairwas/object-test/video/test.mov" >
<embed
src="http://www.student.oulu.fi/%7esairwas/object-test/video/test.mov"
type="video/quicktime" width="160" height="120" alt ="Short Video of
goldfish swimming"> </embed></object>

Also, just the embed portion will work in both IE and Mozilla (I didn't
test in Opera).  I'm definitely not a multimedia expert so any
improvements/suggestions welcomed!

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect

IBM Emerging Internet Technologies