Re: [techs] Summary of techniques teleconference 22 September 2004

From: Gez Lemon <gl@juicystudio.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:27:41 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Hello Sailesh,

Thank you for the extra details on how screen readers handle a longdesc that links to the same page.

> Actually, I wonder why one should give detailed description
> of the img  on the same page.  It is text equivalent info meant
> for those who cannot see the image. So it will clutter up the
> page  if it is on the same page and might be a usability issue
> for sighted users unless of course the longdesc contains some
> explanation of the image etc. which serves all users. Then why
> use longdesc... just link to it.

I've used the technique recently on my site where the content of an image was a scan of a snippet from a newspaper article that was difficult to read. Immediately beneath it, I placed a blockquote that contained the text from the image. In this particular example, there was no point linking to it, as the content immediately followed the image. In my mind, I saw the longdesc as a convenient means of associating the image to the blockquote that followed markup and accessibility guidelines, but it's a shame that the technique isn't supported.

Best regards,

Gez
Supplement your vitamins
Web: http://juicystudio.com