Re: Scripting Techniques first draft

Jim Ley wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:36:43 -0700, Matt May <mcmay@bestkungfu.com> wrote:
>

>>I have published a first draft of the Scripting Techniques for WCAG 2.0:
>>
>>http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-SCRIPT-TECHS-20040910/
>>

>1.1 - the correct example is not correct...  This highlights the main
>problem of a script techniques document, you cannot make the examples
>useful without being too complicated for anyone to understand.  (also
>javascript form uri's are simply hardly used anywhere anyway, until
>the WHAT-WG guys "standardise" them)

I found 800 hits on Google showing javascript: URIs in the action
attrib, so it's not rare enough that it can be left out. Ideas welcome.

We don't have a choice but to publish a document. Our draft charter[1]
says we have to.

Ultimately, I'd rather hand out code modules, and that's part of my
plan, but this document has to exist for those people who understand the
technology.

>The 1.3 example is simply wrong (and dangerously so) it's wrong in the
>sense that you shouldn't return false in an onsubmit and then call
>submit(), you're risking an endless loop (whilst slightly
>under-specified the submit function is not defined to explicitly not
>call the submit event) but more importantly the idea that you can use
>such a field to announce client-side validation has taken place is
>simply wrong!  You MUST validate on the server if validation matters
>(consider a bank that only validates you have permission to move money
>from one account to another on the client, but uses this case!)

I tend to agree. It's not worth keeping as a technique.

>2.1 has similar return false problems (especially bad with
>window.open, as popup blockers generally silently fail so the window
>wouldn't open.)
>
>This is an appropriate example:
>this.target, '...');">Link text</a>

Changed. Thanks.