Re: WCAG 1.0 - checkpoint 11.4, policy and parallel web sites

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
To: "Roberto Castaldo" <r.castaldo@iol.it>; "Gregg Vanderheiden"
<gv@trace.wisc.edu>; "Roberto Scano (IWA/HWG)" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>;
<ij@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>; <jbrewer@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 3:10 PM
Subject: RE: WCAG 1.0 - checkpoint 11.4, policy and parallel web sites

I aagree with Roberto's interpretation of 11.4: it allows for separate,
alternative versions of individual pages that cannot be made accessible
for some reason, but not for separate, alternative versions of entire
sites.

Roberto Scano:
Yes John, the problem is that sometimes people use to make a parallel
version without trying to develop the main web site in accessible mode
because it said: "If, after best efforts, ...".

John:
I am also coming to agree with the position Lisa Seaman took in a recent
post: that 11.4 *may* allow alternative *renderings* when they are
generated from a single source, for example an XML source to which
different XSLT transformations are applied.

Roberto Scano:
Yes John, this is the point where I want to put the focus: 11.4 note
should be explained well, saying that using content negotiation and
content generated by CMS, etc. can also let the user to choose it's
preferred skin / CSS / XSLT that is different to have different web
sites with different contents.