R: WCAG 1.0 - checkpoint 11.4, policy and parallel web sites

From: Roberto Castaldo <r.castaldo@iol.it>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:58:41 +0200
To: "'Gregg Vanderheiden'" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "'Roberto Scano \(IWA/HWG\)'" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, <ij@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, <jbrewer@w3.org>

Hi Gregg, Hi all

As long as one of the N sites meets all the guidelines -- and it is the
version you get if you don't or can't do content negotiation - then it
should be fine.

I am not sure to agree with this way of looking at checkpoint 11.4.

We are talking about "separate" web sites with the same contents and
functionalities; IMHO, checkpoint 11.4 only refers to single, isolated pages
in a web site, not to an entire web site.

It's true that a web site is made of many single pages, but checkpoint 11.4
doesn't speak about web sites; I do believe that WCAG message to developers
is quite clear: "you may use CSS to create various skins, but do not create
multiple separate web sites to address accessibility issues"

Anyway, this is an interpretation problem that we should try and avoid in
WCAG 2.0.

My best regards,

Roberto Castaldo
www.Webaccessibile.Org coordinator