RE: [#925] mandatory H1 (Braille Formatting)

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:44:43 +1000
To: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Cc: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Jim Allan writes:

 > Braille has only 3 levels of heading. Generally, the translation software
 > will style the first 3 levels of heading in a imported document (h1-h3),
 > there after the heading level will be indicated programmatically within the
 > braille editor, but will not apply any formatting to heading levels 4-6. The
 > author/transcriber of the braille document may apply some styling/formatting
 > to H4-H6, but that is outside the bounds of the braille rules.

I assume you mean North American braille textbook format rules, which
are not universal even among countries where English is the primary
language. I just want to note that whereas the above statements are
probably correct for official North American usage, it would be wrong
to regard them as true claims about braille formatting in general.

In some countries there are no official formatting guidelines and the
producer is free to create different styles for as many levels of
heading as desired, and is not expected to follow any particular
layout conventions.