RE: [#925] mandatory H1

From: Lee Roberts <leeroberts@roserockdesign.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:30:24 -0500
To: "'Jens Meiert'" <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, "'Yvette P. Hoitink'" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I concur.  Heading tags should be used per specifications.

I've pointed it our previously that HTML and XHTML 1.0 &
1.1 specifications ignore the point.  However HTML Mobile
specifications require the proper use of heading tags.

XHTML2 as Jens points out does require the proper use of
heading tags.

Therefore, WCAG2 should follow suit and require heading
tags to be properly used.  I would also add a definition
that heading tags cannot be used to declare font sizes.
It may also be prudent, due to the lack of understanding
from SEO consultants, that heading tag appearance can be
altered to meet the design requirements as long as there
is a size difference between other heading tags and
standard text.

Lee Roberts
http://www.roserockdesign.com
http://www.applepiecart.com