Re: [#899] Separate links with printable characters

Hello all,

I'm new to this mailing list, but would like to contribute where I can. At
the moment, I'm unfamiliar with the protocol, so if I commit any serious
faux pas, please let me know *smile*.

Michael Cooper said:

> Issue 899 [1] is to create a technique to separate links in
> HTML with printable characters. I propose we create this
> technique. We may need to debate whether it be marked as
> deprecated or not, or argue over the fine details, but since
> this is a WCAG 1.0 requirement [2] we probably should
> speak to it one way or the other in the HTML techniques
> document.

I would argue that this guideline shouldn't be deprecated, as there are
still problems in distinguishing between adjacent links in some assistive
technologies such as Home Page Reader. In a graphical browser, it can be
difficult to tell where one link ends and another starts if it happens to
appear near a line wrap.

Punctuation is an obvious technique, but it would be good to include
examples of links in a list where non-printable characters would no longer
be required, and using CSS in extreme cases where the punctuation is
definitely not required on a graphical display and a list isn't appropriate.

Best regards,

Gez
Supplement your vitamins
Web: http://www.juicystudio.com