RE: deaf-blind RE: Flash captioning (was: RE: Javascript alternatives not necessary?)

From: Fentress, Robert <rfentres@vt.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:14:35 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

[quote]
-----Original Message-----
From:	Charles McCathieNevile [mailto:charles@w3.org]

("gainsaying" is a sesquipedalian way of saying "claim it is not true".
"Sesquipedalian" means "using big words to seem smart". There are nearly
always two ways to say something accurately...)
[/quote]

I think it is not unreasonable to assume that gainsay would be a word in the vocabulary of an audience such as this.  We are, I assume, all educated professionals of one sort or another.  Perhaps, "to oppose me" would have been a  more accessible way of saying the same thing, but it would have lacked the flair and flavor of original.  Since his comment was intended as witty repartee (look it up), "gainsaying" was the most appropriate word for the purpose.  To belabor the point in this instance (to use a big fancy word) is to be pedantic.

In good fun,
Rob