Gateway Techniques draft: responses to two editorial notes

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:34:50 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
For what it's worth...

From the Gateway draft:

Editorial Note:The use of "clearly" and "concisely" makes this
untestable. Will that be an issue for readers?
[js: I hope not-- the idea here is to provide guidance that helps people
understand what they need to do. We could add a note saying that clarity
and concision require human judgment, and that such judgment should be
informed by at least informal feedback from users, or at best by formal
user testing.]

Editorial Note: In this draft, part C of the Level 1 success criterion
for Guideline 1.1 is divided into two techniques this one (music without
words)
and the next (visual art). Is this confusing? Should they merge into
one?
[js: I think it would be more confusing to treat the tasks of describing
non-vocal audio and visual art somewhat differently-- the descriptive
techniques and vocabularies are very different, and so is the issue of
what gets "displayed," since you can't "display" audio. We may need to
add a note to this effect.]

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute