Re: New internal draft of HTML techniques

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:37:39 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> 1. GRAPHICS USED AS FORM LABELS
>
> Is it "allowable" to create a form label using an image?

Per the HTML spec, yes, which merely requires inline elements other than
<label>.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL>
    Labels may be rendered by user agents in a number of ways (e.g.,
    visually, read by speech synthesizers, etc.)

Speech synthesizers can read alt texts. So I don't see a problem. Let's
not discourage accessible use of images.

> 3. OPTGROUP
>
> From a user agent implementation perspective, optgroup is unfriendly
> for keyboard users and screen reader users, because most user agents
> skip over the optgroup labels when you use the keyboard. I realize that
> it isn't the content author's fault, but the technique, at least right
> now, is largely inaccessible to keyboard users and screen reader users
> because of faulty implementation in browsers.

A "keyboard user" might be sighted and can simply read the text.

I would like to see results from actual testing proving that current
screen readers do not enunciate <optgroup> text. Absent that, it's a
vapourware objection.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post