RE: Issues with guideline 4.2

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:17:21 +1000
To: Web Content Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Gregg Vanderheiden writes:
 > 1)  How about adding freely available.  Or generally available.
 >
 > <propose>
 > At least one [freely / generally] available version of a user agent capable
 > of accessing the content conforms, at a minimum, to Level A of the User
 > Agent Accessibility Guidelines.
 > </propose>

I agree. If we decide to specify availability across operating systems
etc., as Lee has urged, then this would appear at level 2. The
desirability of this is a separate issue.

 > 2) I think we pointed to those sections of UAAG on purpose since there are
 > other parts that did not apply. So I don't think we can decouple.  But Wendy
 > can comment on this more exactly.

If we don't decouple we are leaving WCAG 2.0 open to potential
problems later. I think we should make a serious effort to find
wording that will continue to be applicable if UAAG is updated.

that