RE: Linear reading order

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:14:50 -0500
To: <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, "Web Content Guidelines" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Jason proposes a level 2 success criterion for Guideline 1.3 that would
cover the problem of reading order without addressing it directly:

Structure can be derived programmatically without analysing the layout
or presentation of the content. (this would be in guideline 1.3 level
2).
He goes on to say:
Note that my proposal is about separation of structure from
presentation, not about reading order as such. I don't think reading
order needs to be discussed separately except perhaps in an example, but
not in the success criteria.

My response:
I think this is a good proposal. Besides providing an example, we might
also address the reading-order issue explicitly in General Techniques.

John