RE: Linear reading order

From: Yvette P. Hoitink <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:48:45 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hello everyone,

In my opinion, Jason White made a good case that we can't require the author
to create a logical linear reading order (no 'logical' order may exist,
depends on user preference, structure is already present).

However, we could require that _if_ reading order is predefined, it should
be logical.

Using HTML+CSS, I can do stuff like

which will make it visually look like "This sentence makes no sense" but
will be read by screenreaders as "no sense. This sentence makes" (Go Yoda!).

I think cases like these are bad for accessibility and we should have a
success criteria somewhere in our guidelines that addresses this issue. I'm
thinking along the lines of:
"If a reading order is provided, make sure it is logical".

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl
WWW: http://www.heritas.nl