Re: Backoffice: must conform to WCAG?

From: Matt May <mcmay@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:25:06 -0800
Cc: "WAI GL (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
To: "Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>

On Mar 26, 2004, at 11:53 AM, Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG wrote:
> Thank you for your explain. My question and the discussion that we are
> doing the italian webaccessibile.org mailing list is: a web page that
> contains a form with:
>
> (form contents)
> (Plugin) is a plug-in called with the <object> element that is
> accessible to assistive technologies (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 8.1), device
> independent and generates accessible contents.
>
> The questions are:
> a) the page can claim the WCAG conformance if all the WCAG checkpoint
> for a conformance level are soddisfed?

MM: Yes.

> b) the page can also claim ATAG conformance for the plug-in if the
> plug-in reach a conformance level for ATAG?

MM: Yes. To what level depends on:
  1. the plugin's software accessibility required in Guideline 1 of ATAG
2;
  2. the plugin's interface and evaluation abilities, required elsewhere
in ATAG 2;
  3. the accessibility of the plugin's output, according to WCAG 1
and/or 2; and
  4. the WCAG conformance of the rest of the HTML interface.

> If this is OffTopic for this list, please let me know and we discuss in
> private :)

I think these are good questions, and if they don't belong here, they
are welcome in either w3c-wai-au or wai-xtech.

-