Re: Backoffice: must conform to WCAG?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
To: "'Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG'" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>; "'WCAG List'"
<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 5:01 AM
Subject: RE: Backoffice: must conform to WCAG?

>Just talked about this today.

wow :)

>Backoffice refers to interfaces that are in a place that is only
visited by
>maintenance personnel.  It was meant to keep from having servers in
closets
>be wheelchair accessible.   It was not meant to apply to web pages
served
>from servers in back offices (closets).

Yes but the pages of backoffice, of intranets, of extranets are "web
contents"? I think so, so these pages may conform to WCAG. Otherwise,
what about universal access? I think that it is a mixed-issue for WCAG
and ATAG, because the "core" of the editor in the backoffice interface
may follow ATAG guidelines but the page (that is an HTML page) may
conform to WCAG.
Remember also that maintenance personnel could be disable people that
uses assistive technologies for work with the content editor. Otherwise,
why some products and editor (eg. www.ektron.com) declare conformance to
Section 508? And why some evalutation software for web accessibility let
the possibility to test page in reserved area?