Re: Backoffice: must conform to WCAG?

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:51:41 +1100
To: "Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Cc: "WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG writes:

 > Hi,
 > in the italian mailing list about web accessibility we are discussing
 > about backoffice of web sites. I think that if the backoffice is
 > developed with web technologies and use web pages (with forms, links,
 > etc.) must conform to WCAG 1.0 like the "external" (public) pages.
 > A different application is needed for the "core" of the backoffice (if
 > there is a CMS), that is the XHTML/XHTML editor that should conform to
 > ATAG 1.0.

It's very much a policy question that will have different answers in
different contexts. The guidelines aren't meant to answer that kind of
question. Rather, they provide a technical specification which
developers, policy makers etc., can use to define requirements that,
if met, will improve the accessibility of content, by different
degrees depending on which level of conformance is attained.

External to the guidelines are such issues as whether there exists a
legal obligation or organizational policy to bring certain content
into conformance, and whether or not there is a strong argument, under
given circumstances, for achieving conformance, if so at what level.