Re: spelling errors in new draft

----- Original Message -----
From: "David MacDonald" <befree@magma.ca>
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 11:08 PM
Subject: spelling errors in new draft

Editorial Note:  WCAG 1.0 and Section 508
both allow text-only variants only in cases when the "original"can't be
made
accessible any other way, and then require that the text-only variant be
updated whenver the "original"changes. That seems to have dropped out of
WCAG 2.0, but we think we need to reinstate it.

----
Wait.. .this is a big error!
WCAG 1.0 don't refer to "text-only"!

Checkpoint 11.4 of WCAG 1.0 said:
"If, after best efforts, you cannot create an accessible page, provide a
link to an alternative page that uses W3C technologies, is accessible,
has equivalent information (or functionality), and is updated as often
as the inaccessible (original) page. "

WCAG refer to an alternative page that:
* use W3C technologies
* is accessible
* has equivalent information (or functionality)
* is updated as often the inaccessible page

There are a lot of users that think that the "text only" version is
accessible, but "text only" don't conform to WCAG (11.4 is a Level 1
conformance checkpoint, so not respecting it will take the page to don't
conform to level 1).
The Editorial note must be changed with this one:

Editorial Note:  WCAG 1.0 and Section 508 both allow the creation of an
accessible page only in cases when the "original" can't be made
accessible any other way, and then require that the inaccessible page
link to an alternative accessible page that uses W3C technologies, is
accessible, has equivalent information (or functionality), and is
updated as often as the inaccessible (original) page. That seems to have
dropped out of WCAG 2.0, but we think we need to reinstate it.

This is important, otherwise we "autorize" the "text-only" version for
web site that is the wrongest application of accessibility.

Roberto Scano (rscano@iwa-italy.org)
International Webmasters Association / HTML Writers Guild
http://www.iwanet.org - http://www.hwg.org
E-Mail: emea@iwanet.org - w3c-rep@iwanet.org