Re: Exceptions in guideline formulations (non-urgent)

From: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:29:19 +0100
To: "Yvette P. Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yvette P. Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 8:19 PM
Subject: Exceptions in guideline formulations (non-urgent)

Guideline 1.1

Current wording:
For non-text content, provide text equivalents that serve the same
purpose
or convey the same information as the non-text content, except when the
sole
purpose of the non-text content is to create a specific sensory
experience
(for example, music and visual art) in which case a text label or
description is sufficient.

Proposed wording:
Provide text equivalents for non-text content.

Roberto:
It is wrong... I suggest to "cut" it but not "cut" all:

"Provide text equivalents for non-text content except when the
functionality for non-text content is only decorative"

Why this? Because in the case of decorative images for respect the DTD
you need to apply the "alt" attribute but this must me empty. With your
rewording, this decorative image must have a text equivalent.

The other text can be moved in a success criteria:

1. in a specific sensory experience (for example, music and visual art)
a text label or description is sufficient.