RE: Exceptions in guideline formulations (non-urgent)

From: Yvette P. Hoitink <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:55:58 +0100
To: "'Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG'" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Proposed wording: (Yvette)
> Provide text equivalents for non-text content.
>
> Roberto:
> It is wrong... I suggest to "cut" it but not "cut" all:
>
> "Provide text equivalents for non-text content except when the
> functionality for non-text content is only decorative"

Respectfully, I disagree with you. I strongly feel we need to keep the
guidelines simple and leave the exceptions to the success criteria.

> Why this? Because in the case of decorative images for respect the DTD
> you need to apply the "alt" attribute but this must me empty.
> With your
> rewording, this decorative image must have a text equivalent.

As I see it, an empty string is a text equivalent too. So yes, I would
require a decorative image to have a text equivalent: "". I do agree with
you that we need to make this clearer than it is in the current formulation
of the SC.

Yvette Hoitink
CEO Heritas, Enschede, The Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl