RE: Is there a source document for every Web resource?

From: Yvette P. Hoitink <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:10:30 +0100
To: "'John M Slatin'" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hello John and list,

Pictures (jpg, gif, etc) do not have source documents in the regular sense
of the word. I don't know if that is a good example, because I do not quite
understand the context of the question. Could you explain some more what you
need counter-examples for?

Also, for PDF the source is the postscript file but authors seldom code
these by hand but have a program like Acrobat or PDF distiller that does it
for them.

Another example might be MP3. You cannot say "view source" there anywhere.
The file format of MP3 is a mystery to almost everyone publishing MP3
content so almost no author ever does anything with the source.

This is stretching the concept of "host technologies" a bit, but it is
content found on the web that in my opinion does not have a source document
in any way the author has influence over.

Hope this helps,

Yvette Hoitink
CEO Heritas, Enschede, The Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl