RE: Is there a source document for every Web resource?

Yvette, thanks for continuing to think about this one!

The context of my question about whether or not all Web documents have
source documents (along the lines of thos4e for static HTML/XHTML
documents) was my work on guideline 3.2 (formerly 3.4), the one about
organizing content in consistent ways and making interactive components
behave predictably.  Specifically, I was trying to find a way to phrase
a success criterion that would allow us to require at least one
presentation format in which repeated components such as navigation
bars, search forms, sections within main content, etc., would have to
occur in the same order.  The model I was working from was that of
order in which they appear in the source document.  Developers are free
to arrange the elements *visually* in whatever order makes most sense
visually, while the same components might be read in a different order
by screen readers based on the order in which they occur in the source
document.  I was thinking that this would be the auditory equivalent of
consistent visual layout.

I ended up dropping the success criterion (I think!) because I couldn't
come up with wording that seemed meaningful without constraining visual
presentation in ways that our self-imposed crteria for levels 1, 2, and
3 would allow.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
Please note our new name and URL!