Re: conformance level proposal

On Feb 26, 2004, at 11:12 AM, Yvette P. Hoitink wrote:
> Simple question: why letters? We have level 1, 2 and 3 checkpoints that
> directly correspond to the level of conformance, what would be easier
> than
> just using these numbers for conformance levels as well? You would have
> level 1, level 1+, level 2 or level 3 conformance. You can even have
> level
> 2+ if you want.

I'm not against using numbers, per se, though I would still lean toward
letters, since the version number would also have to be a part of the
claim (is WCAG 2-B+  more usable than WCAG 2-1+?).

I still disagree with offering a level-3 conformance claim. To design
any Web resource to conform to all level 3 guidelines is almost
impossible for all but the most simple examples, and our experience
with WCAG 1 seems to show that claims of triple-A conformance are
bogus. I'd rather set a bar (A+) that people can achieve, and lower
ones that are more reasonable, than set one that users can't put any
faith in.

-