From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Matt May
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 12:53 PM
To: WCAG WG
Subject: conformance level proposal

I'm in the middle of reviewing the latest WCAG draft. It occurs to me
(again) that the concept of A+ conformance in the middle of A-AAA is
confusing in the current scheme. I think I have a fix for this, and I'd
like this to be discussed on a future conference call.

We have A, double-A, and triple-A levels of conformance. However, most
Americans equate ratings like A+ with grades received in school (where
A+ is usually 100%). In this case, someone who sees an A+ rating for
accessibility would assume that the site has done the maximum for
accessibility, where in actuality this is far from the case. And
authors may be more interested in displaying A+ than, say, AA.

I present an alternative that solves this and the following problems
with the current formulation:
- screen reader pronunciation of A, AA and AAA as similar sounds
- mnemonic for B = Basic, A = Advanced, which translates at least into
Spanish (básico/avanzado) and French (base/avancé or augmenté), which
is as far as I go linguistically
- eliminates the red-herring AAA conformance level by producing a top
level of conformance that is capable of being achieved

B - Basic accessibility - all guidelines met at Level 1
B+ - Meets all guidelines at Level 1 plus six (of 13 applicable
guidelines) at Level 2
A - Meets all guidelines at Level 1 and Level 2
A+ - Meets all guidelines at Level 1 and Level 2, plus six (of 12) at
Level 3

As for the +n situation, I still believe that anyone who wants to claim
how many items they conform over and above a given priority should do
so in metadata alone. The value of enumerating which checkpoints a site
claims to conform to should go to users determining which sites they
can used based on that metadata. Additionally, the more different
variables added to the conformance claim, the harder it will be to
explain to the audience of users, and thus the weaker the branding of
WCAG.

I'm very familiar with the argument that certain companies can't make
that claim for legal reasons, and that's fine -- they can stick with B
or A, if they make a claim at all. (Right now, most larger companies,
even those who have accessibility practices in place, make no claims,
and nothing will cause that to change.) The important part of the
conformance scheme is that it provides an easier step up for sites that
want to become progressively more accessible.

Thoughts?

-