Re: character sets RE: simple language testable thing

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:46:15 +0100 (MET)
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: seeman@netvision.net.il, y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> [...] HTTP claims that the default is iso-8859-1 - which is a pain,
because
> for XML the default is Unicode. This sets up a conflict :(
>
> [...] I hope Richard Ishida or someone very versed in these issues can
> help clarify.

According to Richard Ishida [1]:

'For XML and HTML (from version 4.0 onwards) the document character set is
defined to be the Universal Character Set (UCS) as defined by both ISO/IEC
10646 and Unicode standards. (For simplicity and in line with common practice,
we will refer to the UCS here simply as Unicode.)'

Best regards,
 Jens.

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc.html
     (see 'What is the Document Character Set?')

--
Jens Meiert
Interface Architect

http://meiert.com/