Re: REF: 4.1 Move deprecated features

Don,

Please note that the latest draft of WCAG 2.0 Guideline 4.1 [1] says, "for
markup, **except where the site has documented that a specification was
violated for backward compatibility**, the markup has:
a. passed validity tests of the language (whether it be conforming to a
schema, Document Type Definition (DTD), or other tests described in the
specification)
b. structural elements and attributes are used as defined in the specification
c. accessibility features are used
d. deprecated features are avoided"

Thus, we understand that there are cases where deprecated or non-standard
markup needs to be used.  The embed element is a good example:  since the
object elements is not consistently well-supported, embed is commonly used
to include multimedia.

Does this address your concerns?  Do you think that we need to clarify this
further?  More attention will be given to the topic in the Techniques
documents, particularly HTML Techniques for WCAG 2.0.

Best,
--wendy

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/#use-spec

--