Re: Use of Axis in data-table for categorizing cells

Sailesh,

Interesting questions. I think your questions are best directed to the
Protocols and Formats Working Group (PFWG) [1].  I'm ccing Al on my response.

Related tidbits:
- A good discussion of the benefits and drawbacks of axis is section 4.4 of
"Techniques for Accessible HTML Tables" by Stephen Ferg (2002). [2]
- Since axis is not supported, I can't find a good, real-world example of
an axis attribute that has more than one value.
- Looking at the XHTML 2.0 drafts and the HTML WG issues list, there
doesn't seem to be any indication of clarifying the axis attribute.

Best,
--wendy

[1] <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/>
[2] <http://www.ferg.org/section508/accessible_tables.html#contents_item_4.4>