RE: [techs] The TH Rule

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:15:33 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Sailesh points out that JAWS behaves inconsistently when it encounters
> <caption style="display: none">-- it speaks the caption in table-jump
> mode (pressing t to go from table to table), but ignores it when reading
> line by line or in say-all mode.  This isn't something we should count
> on-- it's a bug.

Indeed. display: none; should expunge itself.
<http://alistapart.com/articles/fir/#css>

En tout cas, there are times when <caption> works for a table, other times
when you simply don't need it, and still other times when an ordinary
heading element makes more sense.

An interesting technique we could suggest is to style <caption> like the
heading level immediately above the table, viz.

h2, caption.h2 { font-size: 120%; text-indent: -2em; }

(and so on down the line)

Thus, an author who was interested in simplicity could standardize on
<caption> for every table and have the captions look like all the other
headings in the document.

Just an idea.

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org