Re: Action item: another example for Guideline 3.1

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:55:50 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> A Web page includes links to two versions of a video clip from the
> governor's press conference. The link text reads, "Video of Governor's
> press conference (for high-speed connections)" and "Video of Governor's
> press conference (for dial-up connections)."

I don't know any professional Web designer who would use anything that
verbose, nor is that the sort of thing we find on actual sites. A more
likely and preferable markup is:

Governor's press conference (Windows Media)
<ul>
</ul>

(or just Hi and Lo)

And then of course that invites fundamentalists to bitch that somebody
committed the cardinal sin of reusing link text on a page. And aren't we
suddenly concerned about link length?

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004AprJun/0480.html>
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004AprJun/0507.html>

--