[TECHS] Techniques Mapped To Guidelines

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:49:00 -0400
To: "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

We need to create a relationship between the HTML techniques and the WCAG 2
guidelines so I've created a table that attempts to show how they go
together[1].

I'm sure there will be some disagreement on this mapping so please don't
take this document as anything final. It's meant to start discussion.

Some of the things I noticed...

- Several guidelines (about a third of them) have no techniques yet.
- Two of the techniques don't seem to fit under any guidelines: [2][3]
- Some techniques that don't seem very important are still given level 1
priority because there is no level 2 success criteria. Examples of this are
"misuse of the blockquote element" and "misuse of the pre element". I think
they fit under the guideline 4.1 (use technologies according to spec) and,
IMHO, are not that important for accessibility. There is no level 2 success
criteria so I've had to put them as level 1.
- There are still no guidelines or techniques that deal with
relative/absolute sizes.

Cheers,
Chris

[1] http://www.aprompt.ca/docs/WcagToTechs.html