[TECHS] Techniques Mapped To Guidelines

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:49:00 -0400
To: "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

We need to create a relationship between the HTML techniques and the WCAG 2
guidelines so I've created a table that attempts to show how they go

I'm sure there will be some disagreement on this mapping so please don't
take this document as anything final. It's meant to start discussion.

Some of the things I noticed...

- Several guidelines (about a third of them) have no techniques yet.
- Two of the techniques don't seem to fit under any guidelines: [2][3]
- Some techniques that don't seem very important are still given level 1
priority because there is no level 2 success criteria. Examples of this are
"misuse of the blockquote element" and "misuse of the pre element". I think
they fit under the guideline 4.1 (use technologies according to spec) and,
IMHO, are not that important for accessibility. There is no level 2 success
criteria so I've had to put them as level 1.
- There are still no guidelines or techniques that deal with
relative/absolute sizes.

[1] http://www.aprompt.ca/docs/WcagToTechs.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#address
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#emptycontrol