From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Clark
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:54 AM
To: WAI-GL
Subject: Re: Agenda April 22th

> 3. Conformance
>
>     - defn of 3 groups
>
>    - consensus about whether or not all of the 3rd group
>       need to be met to claim 3rd category of conformance?
>
>    - what do we want to call the 3 levels of conformance
>          - should we coord w/EO
>          - is the naming more of a marketing than technical issue?)

Gregg continues to act as though everyone thinks there *should* be three

groups. The fact that Gregg holds this opinion is merely a fact, but it
must not be confused with consensus or agreement.

It's at times like these when we get the impression that Gregg
Vanderheiden feels he is solely responsible for writing WCAG 2.0, while
other contributors are mere assistants. Actually, only PiGS would fall
into that category, but they are no more heeded than the rest of us when

Gregg has made up his mind.

I note Gregg's willingness to haul out procedure to back up the
imposition
of his own personal opinion on the entire group.

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004AprJun/0070.html>

And Gregg, in that message, pretended that "consensus" means "majority
vote" rather than "unanimity." The W3C process documents permit a
definition of consensus in which nobody disagrees even though some may
abstain, which seems reasonable. There is no such thing, however, as
consensus in which some people disagree. Q.E.D.

<http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/policies.html#Consensus>

Here's a hint to the Participants in Good Standing and other Approved
Persons who hang out on the teleconferences: Question the entire basis
of
any discussion of fine-tuning details for "three levels." *We* haven't
agreed there should be more than *two*.

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post