Re: Participation in good standing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Deering" <gdeering@acslink.net.au>
To: "Joe Clark" <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Cc: "WAI-GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 3:11 AM
Subject: Re: Participation in good standing

I can't get on this list even though I am trying to make a contribution,
yet I know others on this list I sincerely doubt are fulfilling anywhere
near these requirements.  I'm not trying to make an issue, just a point.

As an independant developer, I would have to pay the cost of so many
international phone calls to participate.  I don't mind the WAI-GL
participants structure, but if it becomes more and more difficult to
contribute then I can probably better invest my energies elsewhere, and
you'll tend to find those of us, who are independant developers, who
have a unique perspective on these issues, will just drop away.

Roberto Scano:
I wanna remember to all that all the working group are organized by a
Charter that follow the guideline of the W3C Process Document that the
AC Representative (i'm also the AC Representative for IWA/HWG), that
represent the W3C Member, has approved and has been updated on 18th June
2003 [1] and there are some news about the member and non-member
partecipation that must be updated inside the Charter of the working
group [2] (this is also because the charter of this working group is
under re-chartering).

"There are four types of participants in a Working Group: the Chair,
Member representatives, invited experts, and Team representatives
(including the Team Contact)."

Read point 6.2.1.3: Invited Expert in a Working Group
"The Chair MAY invite an individual with a particular expertise to
participate in a Working Group. This individual MAY represent an
organization in the group (e.g., if acting as a liaison with another
organization)."

MAY is in CAPS put not by me but by the document editor, and the MAY
must also follow the requirements put in the 6.2.1.3 paragraph.

For close the discussion, the document clear explain what means Member
in Good Standing [3] and what are the requirements of the charter [4].

Hope this helps to clarify. I agree with Geoff Deering that
teleconferences and F2F are expensive for non-USA people and I think
that in the future W3C AB must propose the change of the meeting mode
(eg: using IP phonecall, etc.).

Roberto Scano (rscano@iwa-italy.org)
IWA/HWG International Project Manager and EMEA Coordinator
International Webmasters Association / HTML Writers Guild
W3C Advisory Commitee Representative for IWA/HWG
W3C WCAG Working Group Member - W3C ATAG Working Group Member
http://www.iwanet.org - http://www.hwg.org
E-Mail: emea@iwanet.org - w3c-rep@iwanet.org
[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/06/Process-20030618/

[2]