Participation in good standing

I want WAI (read well: WAI) to be very, very clear about what it truly
means here:

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2003OctDec/0556.html>

> Work statement [1]: focused mainly on membership requirements for our task
> force. People need to be members in good standing of the larger WCAG group
> but can focus their time commitment to techniques, or split their time.

The membership requirements seem to have been unilaterally upgraded
overnight to read as follows:

<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2003/12/wttf.html>
Participation

   Task Force participants must be participants in good standing of
   the WCAG WG, should have experience with a Web technology (such as
   HTML, CSS, or SVG), and must actively contribute to the work of the
   Task Force, including:
     * minimum 2 hours per week of Task Force work
     * remain current on the mailing list and respond in a timely manner
       to postings on mailing list
     * participate in Task Force telephone meetings, or send regrets to
       the list
     * assist in preparing Task Force deliverables for discussion

Essentially, even to work on HTML techniques now requires one to be PiGS
(participant in good standing).

1. That was not the case before.
2. Is that really and truly what the World Wide Web Consortium wishes to
insist on now?

Answer question 2 very carefully indeed. The Web Accessibility Initiative
stands to permanently alienate contributors if it actually puts the
proposal into practice. Perhaps I should add a third question:

3. Is that the result WAI actually intends?

Public responses, to the list, *only*, please.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_