RE: the need for marking up change of language

Very interesting message about multilingual texts, Yvette! Thanks.

You asked about the term "contracted braille." Your assumption is correct-- it involves dot-configurations that represent multiple letters or even entire words.  In English, for example, the word "for" is represented by a Braille cell containing all six dots.  The word "the" is represented by dots 2,3, 4, and 6.  (The cell is arranged in two columns of three cells each; numbering goes vertically, so column 1 contains dots 1-3 and column 2 has 4-6.)

John

"Good design is accessible design."
Please note our new name and URL!
John Slatin, Ph.D.