Abbreviations and Acronyms: [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft

From: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:39:09 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Ref: http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20031104.html
:
In the example for abbreviation, are WWW and SSN not acronyms?  After reading these examples I began to wonder what I should  expect to see under acronyms. Definition from Merrian Webster online Dic. (that's an abbreviation!)
Abbreviation:  a shortened form of a written word or phrase used in place of the whole <amt is an abbreviation for amount, or rehab for rehabilitation>
Acronym: a word (as NATO) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a  compound term

Sailesh Panchang
Senior Accessibility Engineer
Deque Systems,11180  Sunrise Valley Drive,
4th Floor, Reston VA 20191
Tel: 703-225-0380 Extension 105
E-mail: sailesh.panchang@deque.com
Fax: 703-225-0387