Re: Untestable success criteria

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:31:20 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> We've been working on a system to make accessibility guidelines testable and
> it may help in your work.

The assumption here is that all guidelines are *machine*-testable.

> This is still early in the development cycle and I would appreciate any
> feedback you may have.

My feedback is that Chris is ideologically reluctant to accept that some
accessibility guidelines will never be machine-testable. It took hours and
thousands of words of explanation before he would finally reluctantly
conded that colour combinations for colour-normal visually-impaired people
could not be machine-tested.

Of course it's possible to test all accessibility provisions. It would be
very interesting to have multiplatform, standards-compliant tools to
facilitate all kinds of testing-- machine- and human-driven. But if this
is a cover story to twist and deform WCAG into an undifferentiated set of
machine-testable guidelines, we have a problem.

Yeah, nice one. 150 lines of forwarded text. Nice.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_