Re: Equation for determining color "closeness"

From: Roberto Ellero <rellero@webaccessibile.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:55:07 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I found interesting this mensurability of the contrast.

I noticed that the complementary colour (directly opposite to each other in
the colour wheel) combination has the highest contrast.
http://www.webwhirlers.com/colors/combining.asp
"Split complementary is a colour and the analogous colours to its complement
color. Using split complementary colours can give you a design with a high
degree of contrast, yet still not as extreme as a real complementary colour.
It also results in greater harmony than the use of the direct
complementary."
http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-schemes.html#split

Maybe this site is useful:
http://www.4colorvision.com/files/colorcontrperf.htm
It's about contrast performance of the human eye.

It is interesting also to notice that even the chromatic contrast
sensitivity functions are subjected to a logarithm:
http://www.4colorvision.com/files/colorcontrperf.htm#equations

Best regards,
Roberto Ellero