Re: Automatic submission of forms and screen changes

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:29:21 -0400
To: Kerstin Goldsmith <kerstin.goldsmith@oracle.com>, w3c-wai-gl <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hello Kerstin,

I think that checkpoint 2.1 (All functionality is operable at a minimum
through a keyboard or a keyboard interface) [1] and its required success
criterion address part of this issue - "Ensure that menus and other
navigation controls can be operated." I'm not sure about the other piece,
"without causing form submission or screen changes."  I think it is implied
that if you design something to work with a keyboard or keyboard interface
it ought to work *well* but we might want to be more explicit. Perhaps a
second success criterion that says, "operating the functionality through a
keyboard or keyboard interface works in a way that is logical for the
keyboard user."  I'm not sure how to make this less subjective ("is logical
for the keyboard user" is not testable), but here's a starting point if we
think we want to go in this direction.

Are these [2] the NFB guidelines you are referring to?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#keyboard-operation
[2] http://www.nfb.org/tech/webacc.htm

At 12:31 AM 6/26/2003, Kerstin Goldsmith wrote:

>Question: the NFB put together a list of guidelines for the web, and one
>of them seems quite pertinent;  I know that we have run into it in several
>ways, and it's definitely disorienting for a vision-impaired user.  I am
>wondering where similar language is found in the current WCAG 2.0 draft,
>if at all.  If it's not there, does anyone have any thoughts on the
>"Ensure that menus and other navigation controls can be operated without
>causing form submission or screen changes."  For us, there has to at least
>be some warning to the user, or there has to be some kind of user action
>required before form submission or screen change.
>I tried to find this under Guideline 2 somewhere, but maybe it's too late
>at night for that?  <smile>
>Thanks for any guidance/thoughts,

wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium